[ODE] dCylinder that's Z axis aligned?

Olivier Michel Olivier.Michel at cyberbotics.com
Fri Feb 14 00:56:02 2003

Hello Michael,

To answer your question first, I am not aware of a Z axis aligned
version of dCylinder. I don't know if there are any standards with
cylinder orientation, but I liked the dCylinder implementation of
Konstantin Slipchenko because it matches the VRML1, VRML2 and
OpenInventor specifications for cylinder orientation (as well as the
specs of my app). So, I believe that it would be a good thing to keep
this Y axis aligned orientation for the dCylinder, as is seems to me to
be pretty standard (however, I am not an expert in 3D file formats).
However, it's not a big deal to rotate the cylinder if necessary to
change its orientation axis... (that's what I initially did when I was
using dCCylinders). Another alternative would be to allow three types of
Cylinders, as it is the case with the dMassSetCylinder (dMass *m, dReal
density, int direction, dReal radius, dReal length) function where
direction define the orientation axis, but would require some additional
coding...

Just my 0.02 € on dCylinder...

-Olivier