Re[2]: [ODE] Torque input, differentials and drive shafts

Amund Børsand amund at c2i.net
Wed Feb 12 11:31:01 2003

<skjold@cistron.nl> skreiv:

> Oops, I confused the slider with the hinge (I thought you were talking about using hinges instead of a universal joint) :P Anyway, the slider does indeed constrain torque. In that respect, the picture in the docs of the two cubes with a cylindrical slider, would be more accurate if it showed a square slider instead. So yes, you can use the slider in your driveshaft. I just hope it doesn't explode when the torque or angular speed gets too high ;)

Cool!

> > Yes.. but the problem is it has to feed the torque back as well..
> What do you mean exactly? What has to feed back torque, and back to where?

Hmm.. I think you cut away a lot when replying here, and I don't have my
original mail on this computer.. but I think I was talking about wheels,
differentials and driveshafts. The driveshaft and the wheels all decide
how much torque there is between them, simultaneously, that's why it's
difficult. But that is sort of the same problem all of ODE has to fight
with. I thought maybe the differential can be modelled as a joint? That
controls the angle/absolute rotation of the wheels, and also have some
kind of torque input, or rather an "absolute rotation" input, which the
wheels has to follow/stay equal to.. if you get my drift.