[ODE] How to compile the .libs under MSVC 6.0 step by step

Ken MacLeod kjmac at freenet.co.uk
Sat Feb 1 06:05:02 2003

Hi,
This guide assumes that you've downloaded the 0.035 version (non CVS).
Assuming you've extracted ODE in C:\ODE-0.035 here we go...

Go into a text editor and edit c:\ODE-0.035\config\user-settings.
This sets up how the ODE c:\ODE-0.035\include\ode\config.h file will be
built.

Make the following alterations:

1) change PLATFORM=unix-gcc to PLATFORM=msvc

2) if you want to use the triangle collider contribution you will
   need to also change PRECISION=DOUBLE to PRECISION=SINGLE

Now goto the top level directory C:\ODE-0.035

download 'Make' if you don't already have it from
http://q12.org/ode/bin/make.exe and
either put it in a directory specified in your PATH environment
variable, or just copy
it into C:\ODE-0.035

in C:\ODE-0.035 type "make configure"

now you can type the following to build the libs and exes

"make ode-lib"		build the core ODE library
"make drawstuff-lib"	build the OpenGL-based graphics library
"make ode-test"		build some ODE tests (they need drawstuff)
"make drawstuff-test"	build a test app for the drawstuff library

if you now look in c:\ODE-0.035\libs you'll like what you see. The test
exes will
be in C:\ODE-0.035\ode\test

All of this information is outlined in C:\ODE-0.035\INSTALL

Hope this helps, I've tried the above steps and it works for me.

Ken