[ODE] Shockwave of an explosion

Nicholas Francis nicholas at uti.is
Sat Dec 27 20:49:52 MST 2003

I don't know about the 'shock wave', but FWIW, here's what we did:

When we have an 'exploding' object, we found all nearby objects under
physics control, and then applied a force away from the explosion on
all nearby objects. In order to keep the system stable, we didn't apply
the force all at once, but spread it out over 1 second (this actually
looked cooler as well, as it made it look more like an air wave and
less like somebody pushing it). We also experimented with
applyForceAtPosition, where we set the position as the centre of
explosion. Sometimes it looks better, sometimes not.

IIRC, the force diminished with the squared distance from explosion

If you're making game-like stuff, I advice you to just play around - it
feels REALLY cool, is fun to make and easy to get right ;-)

Nicholas Francis
-------
Scheduling fascist - Over The Edge Entertainments