[ODE] Trimesh Temporal Coherence Patches

Vadim Macagon vadim_mcagon at hotmail.com
Mon Dec 8 02:28:53 MST 2003

Hi Adam,

> > This set of patches just adds:
> >
> > void dGeomTriMeshEnableTC(dGeomID g, int geomClass, int enable);
> > int dGeomTriMeshIsTCEnabled(dGeomID g, int geomClass);
> >
> > These functions can be used to enable/disable the use of temporal
coherence
> > during tri-mesh collision checks. Temporal coherence can be
enabled/disabled
> > per tri-mesh instance/geom class pair, currently it works for spheres
and
> > boxes.
>
> Thanks, I'm all poised to commit this.
>
> But first, could you tell me why we would want an API function to
> enable/disable temporal coherence on a per-object basis?

Because you can specify it per object in Opcode, I thought it's only fair
that the same flexiblity is offered by ODE. Personally I just needed a way
to disable temporal coherence for all my meshes so a class setting would've
suited me even better.

> Under
> what conditions is this useful and what are the appreciable benefits
> in using this function wisely?

Well I've interpreted this question as:
When is temporal coherence useful, and when is it not?
That is something I hope Pierre Terdiman or someone else can answer, as I
have not used tri-meshes for anything serious yet.

Cheers,

Vadim.