[ODE] (no subject)

SJS ode at pulsecode.net
Fri Dec 5 19:28:54 MST 2003

Well, I haven't put together a separate test app, but I've run some tests
using ODE's test samples (test_boxstack, etc.).  I'm not using the entire
ODE lib, so reproducing my "3 stacked spheres" case exactly will take me a
bit more time.

ODE's docs say the solver is most stable when objects masses & dimensions
are ~1.  Using a modified 'test_boxstack' my "3 stacked spheres" case seems
stable using very small radii (0.01) but not larger (80.0, or even less).
Either way, if you get much more than a factor of 100 away from 1.0 things
start to go bad.

Does someone ( Russ?-- I think he's the last [and maybe only] one to touch
lcp.cpp! ) have any idea where the precision loss is coming in?  I know that
I've strayed from the recommended ODE path, but sometimes it's not that easy
to rescale the entire world. :/

Maybe there's at least a way to shift the precision so it would prefer
larger or smaller worlds?

Anyway, any ideas or feedback from experience in this area would be
appreciated.

Steve Schlueter