[ODE] Rigid Body Dynamics Dissertation

Ignacio García Fernández ignacio.garcia at uv.es
Thu Dec 4 14:50:42 MST 2003

On Wed, Dec 03, 2003 at 09:59:11AM +0000, Adam D. Moss wrote:
> Roel van Dijk wrote:
> >Also, sinds your simulation whill probably contain a lot of objects I
> >recommend using the dWorldStepFast1 function. These will give a huge speed
> >boost over the normal dWordStep function. I managed to stack 400 boxes
> >before the simulation got sloppy.
>
> That's interesting.  I'm also using StepFast and I can rarely stack
> 15 regular cubes squarely atop each other without them slowly oozing
> into wonkiness and falling over within about ten seconds.  Could
> you share what parameters you used for stacking hundreds of boxes
> (friction, etc), what mass they had, length of timestep, number
> of iterations, etc?

Hi, I've seen some papers published in journals such as Phis. Rev. E
talking about granular systems, such as sand, that model the system
as hundreds of small irregular objects. The problem of achieving a
stable behavior is very hard. The most common solution is to stop the
integration of the positions of all the objects that are resting. Then
the problem becomes in deciding which are resting :-D

This approach also saves a lot of computation in systems with plenty of
objects.

If you are interested in this subject I can look for the references.

Regards

Ignacio

--
May the source be with you