[ODE] ODE's speed

Adam D. Moss aspirin at ntlworld.com
Fri Aug 15 23:26:01 2003

Thomas Grimes wrote:
> I was just wondering why, like for example, when you stack so many boxes
> (10 for me) that any more after that the simulation will slow WAY down
> and every other box you stack it just goes slower.

See section 11.3 of the ODE manual for the 'why' and section
8 for a cure.

 > keynotes from id software at
> QuakeCon 2003 today and they mention their physics engine can stack at
> least 100 boxes [..]
 > They
> mention that no other phsyics engine can do this without going at snail
> speed.

Hmm, then either they're showboating or, more likely, they
haven't kept abreast of the technology in this area because of
the prevailant insular NIH-ism at id.

I'd say that most if not all of the game-targetting physics
engines (including ODE) offer an iterative solver at this point,
which would have no speed problem stacking 100 boxes.

--Adam
--
Adam D. Moss   . ,,^^   adam@gimp.org   http://www.foxbox.org/   co:3
"I am NOT a nut!  I am the keeper of the seven universal truths!"