[ODE] Cylinders, Capsules and Collision

Josh Welber josh at largeanimal.com
Sun Aug 10 10:38:01 2003

Hi all -- our company is using ODE for a game and it would be convenient if
we had (uncapped) cylinders as primitives.  I see that all the cylinders in
ODE are capsules, and just wondering:
1-Why is this?  I assume it must be easier to work with these -- but why?
2-Anyone know of resources (or anything) that would be useful in creating a
true cylinder primitive in ODE that could collide with the other primitives
and with TriMeshes?
or
3-Any ideas on how to get capsules to sit nicely on their ends, so that one
could place them on terrain etc. i.e. ideas on faking a true cylinder using
a capsule.

Thanks

Josh

Josh Welber