[ODE] Win2k stack revisited

Nate W coding at natew.com
Wed Apr 23 23:37:02 2003

Once upon a time, we were talking here about stack reserve sizes under
Win2k.  IIRC, 8x10^6 is effectively the maximum.  I tried 8x10^8 and
examined the resulting binary and found that the stack reserve size was
still 8x10^6 (dumpbin /headers <my.exe>).

More recently, I noticed that Juice wasn't working right.  Everything
worked except that if I tried to go up to the parent directory while
opening a file, Juice would hang with an hourglass cursor.  Everything
else worked, just not that.

Why?  Because my stack was still set to 8x10^8.  Setting the stack back to
8x10^6 enabled the windows common file-open dialog to ascend into parent
directories again.

Go figure.

This is with MSVC7, by the way.

--