[ode] -question on BSD license

Anselm Hook anselm at hook.org
Tue Apr 22 15:44:02 2003

> I explain him that BSD license allows us to use ODE in binary form
> even if we add some modifications to bring our game and ODE together.
> all we need to retain credits to ODE developers with our game
> distribution.

You are correct.

> some more explanations- as the intended game will go as a single
> package boss does not wish to have code etc included on the CD .... So
> he is about only binary things.

That is legal.

> Could you confirm that there will not be license probs to us ( as ODE
> as well is licensed under LGPL and possibly there might be some
> issues) if we
>
> 1) retain original BSD license text with our game distribution (but
> one license - BSD and we will not include LGPL license) and we cleary
> give credits to original authors. 2) have linked binary of ODE which
> we might tweak in interfaces to meat our specific needs or tweak for
> specific compiler..

Right.  There are no issues for any of these kinds of behavior.  This is
totally legal.

You can make changes and you can keep the changes secret if you want.  You
can make changes and sell the changes.  You can take the original and sell
the original.  Almost all behaviors are permitted.  The main focus is to
give credit where credit is due.

> as for me - I'm from russia - and we ( developers here) have very poor
> knowledge of western licences and common way to proceed with them our
> copyrights law is far more simple than for ex that in US.

This is part of the Bourne Convention - it has nothing to do with U.S.
law.  This is an international copyright treaty that recognizes certain
common aspects of creation and invention.  Almost every nation on earth is
a signatory to it.

BSD relenquishes specific rights granted by the Bourne Convention.

> also - if the above two points are not sufficient for the use - then
> what else I should do to use ODE in commercial project in binary form
> and be sure things are OK?

The approach you've taken is fine according to the BSD license that ODE
states it is licensed under.  Any reasonable legal assessment would
probably be in your favor if this was challenged in court.  Simply give
credit where credit is due and use the source code as you wish.

You will want to consult your own legal counsel and have them assume the
liability for any error in interpretation here.  Generally speaking in
situations where you have a mission critical aspect of your development it
is very important to make sure that you have no liabilities.  This due
diligence is important for your investors and investor confidence.  You
want to be able to tell your investors that you have rigorously and fully
evaluated and protected against all risks.

Good luck!