[ODE] -question on BSD license

gl gl at ntlworld.com
Tue Apr 22 10:08:01 2003

Hi,

yes, all these licenses can get confusing (especially those that like to
ramble on for page after page!).

Basically you can choose which license you wish to use.  The BSD style
license allows you to use ODE royalty free in commercial products, without
having to release your source code.  This is the important part:

"Redistributions in binary form must reproduce the above copyright notice,
this list of conditions and the following disclaimer in the documentation
and/or other materials provided with the distribution."

In other words, as you guessed, you must:

1) print the ODE copyright notice somewhere (eg. in an About box, or a list
of credits), something like 'includes code from the Open Dynamics Engines,
Copyright (c) 2001,2002, Russell L. Smith. All rights reserved."

2) you must include the license text itself somewhere (you can just include
the License-BSD.txt file in your package), and

3) be sure to print the Disclaimer part in your documentation somewhere.

At least that's my interpretation.
--
gl