[ODE] 2d system -- within Ode

psero@gmx.de psero at gmx.de
Sat Apr 19 05:54:01 2003

Hello--

simulating a 2d system within Ode can be
achieved with a additional constraint type.

Russell has described how to build new
joints (http://opende.sourceforge.net/joints.pdf)
and I found this helpful to implement a "Plane2D"
joint type that I am using successfully in
an interactive media installation now.

My Plane2D joint takes only one body
and constraints its position to be at world's z=0,
and its z-axis to be aligned with world's z-axis.
So 3 degrees of freedom remain (x-, y-translation
and z-rotation). 3 Linear motors are included,
one for each degree of freedom.

The implementation is not perfect, but is works
quite efficently.
(I couldn't figure out how to compute
the drift correction term ("c"-term) for the orientation.
Should be similar to that of a simple hinge,
but for now one has to fix the body's orientation
in the application, after each simulation step.)

Anyone interested?

Peter