[ODE] interpolating between physics frames to get the actual positions in the render time

John DeWeese deweese at ict.usc.edu
Wed Apr 16 23:37:01 2003

If I understand correctly, you are running a physics simulation on a
server as well as all clients simultaneously? If so, what exactly is
being communicated between server and client? Sounds more like a
peer-to-peer solution... problem is that it is beyond a huge pain in the
ass to synchronize communication without big overhead. With
client-server, you usually have an understanding that the states will be
different, and that's OK as long as it's reasonably close. Thus,
client-server model plus fancy client extrapolation for remote sessions.

If that's not the case, and when you say you "need deterministic results
of the physics across different clients" you mean that you just want
starting conditions to generate the same results on any kind of
server... In this case you may be better off just implementing a state +
event recording feature, and playing it back at whatever update rate the
recording specifies, then you can just do interpolation between recent
and nearest future state.

If this is a multi-player dealy, your input is going to be arbitrary and
asynchronous anyway, so you won't care about the predictability of
locking into one constant update rate for your clients.