[ODE] Crashing within dWorldStep

Boris Searles bsearles at web.de
Tue Apr 15 15:45:02 2003

Hello,

I'm using ODE to physically simulate the evolution of 3d static
morphologies (trying to maximize passive height). Everything works fine
most of the time, but whenever a large object is built (using capped
cylinders) in only two dimensions, hence has a flat side, and falls on this
flat side, the whole program crashes. The crash happens when the object
comes into contact with the ground plane (they sometimes fall from some
height) within the dWorldStep method. The objects I use are compound
objects (many geoms with one body, similar to technique shown by Mark in
previous mail), so no joints involved. My guess is that it has something to
do with the collision detection, possibly that a very large number of
contact points are generated at one time? I limited the number of contact
points to 5 (nearCallback method is copied from one of the examples). Has
anybody encountered similar problems or any ideas how I could fix this?

Since I'm doing many evolutionary runs, it is quite annoying when
everything crashes in the middle of a run and I must start over. Or is
there any way to throw an exception from within the dWorldStep method so
that the whole program doesn't crash? I think having some sort of
exceptions could also be quite useful for other applications.

Thanks for any help,
Boris