[ODE] joint stops - dParamBounce, dParamFudgeFactor, etc

mike polyakov mvp9 at cornell.edu
Mon Apr 7 21:05:01 2003

--=====================_31839723==_.ALT

   I'm trying to eliminate my simulation's nasty habit of exploding.  I
have amotor joints and hinge joints with stops that insist on being
bouncy.  Basically i'm trying to set them, so that if their angle exceeds
one of the stops (through external forces or motor-applied forces) the
joint returns to an angle around the stop instead of bouncing around.
As I understand, when stop bounds are exceeded, ode adds forces on to the
joint to correct itself, which in some cases can lead what I am
experiencing.  According to the documentation dParamBounce and
dParamFudgeFactor (along with dParamStopERP) are supposed to attenuate this
effect, but in my case they seem to produce no result -- are they
applicable to limits of powered joints?

As there is no way to manually set the angle(reposition) of hinge or amotor
joints, I was hoping this was possible through ode's API.
Am I doing somethere wrong? is there a way to have dParamBounce and
dParamFudgeFactor to produce a noticeable effect?
If not I suppose i'll have to do something like adding torque at the joint...

Any help will be welcome.
mike

--=====================_31839723==_.ALT

&nbsp; I'm trying to eliminate my simulation's nasty habit of
exploding.&nbsp; I have amotor joints and hinge joints with stops that
insist on being bouncy.&nbsp; Basically i'm trying to set them, so that
if their angle exceeds one of the stops (through external forces or
motor-applied forces) the joint returns to an angle around the stop
instead of bouncing around.&nbsp; <br>
As I understand, when stop bounds are exceeded, ode adds forces on to the
joint to correct itself, which in some cases can lead what I am
experiencing.&nbsp; According to the documentation dParamBounce and
dParamFudgeFactor (along with dParamStopERP) are supposed to attenuate
this effect, but in my case they seem to produce no result -- are they
applicable to limits of powered joints?<br><br>
As there is no way to manually set the angle(reposition) of hinge or
amotor joints, I was hoping this was possible through ode's API.&nbsp;
Am I doing somethere wrong? is there a way to have dParamBounce and
dParamFudgeFactor to produce a noticeable effect?<br>
If not I suppose i'll have to do something like adding torque at the
joint...<br><br>
Any help will be welcome.<br>
mike<br><br>