[ODE] Universal Joint / Arm -> rotating about its own axis

David Nicolier dnicolier at gameloft.com
Thu Apr 3 08:12:02 2003

>> Ok I understand what's happening now.
>> It's a misunderstanding about the way the Universal Axis1/2 work.
>> It would mean (I'm refering to the Documentation, chapter 7.3.4), that
>> the axis2 is not turning when there's a rotation on axis1, but instead
>> it is staying fixed ?
>
>I don't understand what you're trying to say.  Axes don't turn, bodies
>turn.  Axes are attached to bodies though.  What do you mean by "a
>rotation on axis1"?  Do you mean body 1 is rotating about axis1?  Do you
>mean axis1 is rotating about some other axis?

It's difficult to explain using sentences ;) but basicaly what I meant
was that I thought that Axis2 wasn't attached to Body2 but to body1
(and so wasn't rotating with body2 along axis1). This would have explained
the strange behaviour of my "rotating leg". Because the turning seemed to
happen also when the body2 is rotated 90 degres around axis1 and not
rotated at all along axis2 (like if the character was sitting on the floor).
But I can't reproduce it anymore, so I must be wrong :/

Unfortunatly I can't print out the angles easily right now, but I'll
investigate further when I've got time.

Thanks again Martin.

David.