[ODE] 2d system

Nate W coding at natew.com
Wed Apr 2 11:58:01 2003

On Wed, 2 Apr 2003, Adam D. Moss wrote:

> > (3) Make a new 2d C++ library using ODE's design and code as inspiration
> > but redesign API to be C++ish

This one gets my vote.

> Of course, if everyone who actually wants a 2D dynamics system
> is using C++ and you're a hardcore C++ devotee then there's no
> compelling reason to lower yourself to C compatability.  Except
> that interoperability with raw C apps is pragmatically cool. ;)

The other nice thing about a straight-C interface is that it is relatively
(relatively!) straightforward to access from other languages, e.g. Delphi,
C#, and so on.  But, being a C++ "devotee" myself, I like the idea of
writing things with a C++ interface in mind, and then wrap that API with a
plain-C layer for those who want that.  I don't think it really makes much
difference which approach you take, though.

FWIW, a year or two before I made Juice I made a 2D version...  With
proper physics it would basically be a rigid-body ActiveX version of
sodaplay (www.sodaplay.com), but I never got anything remotely resembling
physics.  I'm sure there's lots of fun stuff you could do with a 2D
dynamics engine.

--

Nate Waddoups
Redmond WA USA