[ODE] 2d system

Adam D. Moss aspirin at ntlworld.com
Wed Apr 2 03:26:01 2003

Christopher Jefferson wrote:
> I like C++, and quite a lot of the "front end" code will look like ODE's
> existing code, so I'm tempted to generate classes for ODEvec, ODEmatrix,
> etc. and "refactor" as much of the code as possible to be compatible
> with both 2d and 3d (and 1d and nd if anyone wanted it!). Then the
> functions which must be different would be compiled separately, probably
> storing the 2d and 3d in different namespaces.
>
> However, this would fundamentally change the existing ODE library and
> force it to require a C++ compiler (probably), which I imagine many
> people may be unhappy about.

Compiling ODE itself already requires a C++ compiler, it's the
subsequent usage of that library that (with a little hacking) can
be used with vanilla C, which makes me very happy. :)  Perhaps
that's what you meant.

> So, as far as I can see there are 4(ish) options available.
>
> (1) Combine new 2d code with ODE, make ODE C++
> (2) Make new C library with some code differing from ODE by just a few
> 3s turned to 2s
> (3) Make a new 2d C++ library using ODE's design and code as inspiration
> but redesign API to be C++ish

Maybe there's some misunderstanding.  ODE itself is implemented in
C++, though without using any standard C++ classes.  As I understand
it, it then exports two APIs, both of which are pretty good but are
quite different, one for vanilla C and one for C++.

When some minor hiccups are worked around, ODE can then be linked to
a C program without requiring any C++ flavoured linktime or runtime
deps.

Seems like a fair model, really.

Of course, if everyone who actually wants a 2D dynamics system
is using C++ and you're a hardcore C++ devotee then there's no
compelling reason to lower yourself to C compatability.  Except
that interoperability with raw C apps is pragmatically cool. ;)

--Adam
--
Adam D. Moss   . ,,^^   adam@gimp.org   http://www.foxbox.org/   co:3
"Half of the harm that is done in this world is due to people who