[ODE] beginner's hinge problem

Michael Scharvogel thubba at gmx.net
Mon Sep 23 05:19:01 2002

hi folks..

I'm still ODE beginner but encounter some probems using ODE...

One of these is dealing with a hinge.
I simple set up a world with two boxes and let them drop down.
Just fine that far.
But now I connect them by a hinge. Starting simulation now, the two boxes
get pulled together and intersect. If my step size for the next sim step is
too high (ca. > 0.04) the two boxed (represented by one single drawn box)
bounce down and the system explodes (boxes jump off like crazy).

Unfortunately I don't know why ?

Do the bodies have to touch? Do I have to make them some kind of explicitly
solid so that they cannot intersect ? And how ?

Sorry for all this newbie stuff, but I can't figure out what went wrong with
my code..

 Maybe someone could help me...
thanx, mike...