[ODE] Cloth simulation

Gary R. Van Sickle g.r.vansickle at worldnet.att.net
Mon Sep 9 20:00:02 2002

> Hello,
> Has anybody think how to implement a complex string-mass-damping system for
> clothes and soft bodies simulation with ODE? Please note that these kind of
> physic systems require very stable integration.
> Any links and/or additional info will be useful, too.
> Best,
> Sergi

Things like this are really particle systems, and are better handled with
dedicated particle system code.  For example, each particle of the cloth has no
need of the concept of torque, nor the expensive calculations which go with it.
"Physics For Game Developers" by David M. Bourg has an implementation of a flag,
and I know I've seen a good tutorial online somewhere (Gamasutra?).

As for integrating a rigid body simulator and a particle simulator, well, as is
too often the case, that's an exercise for the reader. ;-)

--
Gary R. Van Sickle
Brewer.  Patriot.