[ODE] "fixed world point" joint

Jason Gott wristy_j at yahoo.com
Tue Oct 29 16:21:02 2002

Hello,

How can I constrain (through a ball joint) a
physically simulated body to another body that is NOT
under physical simulation, but updated by either user
input or an animation sequence?  (So, like having a
shoulder joint that is updated by an animation, while
having the arm lifelessly dangle from it like a rag
doll.)  -  (Note:  I'm treating the non-simulated body
as though it were infinitely massive (InvMass = 0) -
the problem is that it moves!)

Is there a simple way to just specify a new anchor
point per frame, and let the LCP solver calculate the
necessary forces to keep the body constrained at that
point?

OR - Do I need to calculate forces to apply to the
simulated body based on the current and previous
position of the animated body myself (instead of
letting the LCP solver figure out those forces).  Will
this work?  Is there any other way to do it?

Thanks!