[ODE] Speed of ODE's constraint method

Jason Gott wristy_j at yahoo.com
Fri Oct 25 14:32:02 2002

Hello,

I need to implement a physics simulation that can
handle rag-doll type constraints (hinge, ball, but
probably none powered) with joint limits, and contact
with friction.  I need a fast method.  Is the LCP /
Lagrange multiplier method used in ODE fast enough for
interactive frame rates (> 30 fps) for a minimal
number of constraints/contacts?  I'm thinking at most,
a few multi-bodies with around 9 joints each (10
bodies), plus random simple rigid bodies which may
come in contact with the multi-bodies.  Also - is
there any drawback to using the LCP method on
consoles?

Does anyone know if Havok uses a similar method?  I
imagine they're not just using penalty methods.  What
other good, fast methods are out there?

Thanks!