[ODE] box-box collisions

Russ Smith russ at q12.org
Fri Oct 25 10:49:02 2002

> Is there a reason why the number of contacts for the box-box collision is
> limited to 3 ?

to be clear: it's my intention to generate at most 3 contact points for
box-box collison (at the moment only 1 will be generated). to represent
the *complete* geometry of one box being stacked on top of another up to 8
contacts may be necessary. but in ODE contacts are expensive, so we want
to use the least number of contacts that will result in a reasonable
approximation. three is a reasonable number, as long as we use the three
contacts that are most penetrating. for a 3-contact box stacking
situation it is *possible* that the boxes can interpenetrate when pushed
along some directions, but such errors will be corrected in the next
timestep so they will generally not be visible.

> What do I need to do in order to change that number ?

write more code :)

russ.

--
Russ Smith