[ODE] a newbies question on hinge and robot legs...

Martin C. Martin martin at metahuman.org
Fri Oct 18 07:26:02 2002

> Michael Scharvogel wrote:
>
> (One Body, six legs, each leg consisting of two parts and connected by
> two hinges)
>
> In the final state I'd like to say something like:
> Hinge 1 bow 10 degrees.
>
> So do I have to attach Motors to the hinges to achiev this (I did not
> quiet figure out how this could work) or do I have to use these
> Transform geometries and rotate them (I I understood them right they can
> be used to rotate for example a leg around one of its ends)

You need a motor.  Transform geometries are for fixed relationships.
However, hinges come with a motor built in.  The motor controls velocity,
not position, so the easiest thing is probably to set the velocity
proportional to how far off the position is.  Once you've figured out your
desired velocity, call:

dJointSetHingeParam (joint, dParamVel, desired_velocity);

- Martin