[ODE] Collision Detection - Quick Question About ODE Internals

Russ Smith russ at q12.org
Mon Oct 14 23:19:02 2002

> Does ODE need the dGeomID's when doing the dynamics? For example, if I
> use alternate collision detection, do I have to use geoms?

the geom IDs (g1 and g2) are in the contact structure because you may
pass groups to dCollide and then get returned a list of contacts between
(potentially) many different bodies. in this case your code would
have to examine each g1,g2 and e.g. figure out which body it's for,
create the contact joint on that body, etc. if you're using another
collision package that doesn't have this feature, you just set g1,g2 to
0 (or don't set them at all) and remember not to use them in your code.

russ.

--
Russell Smith
http://www.q12.org