[ODE] Problem with AngularMortor and BallAndSocket

Michel DUBOIS mfdubois at club-internet.fr
Fri Oct 11 12:25:02 2002

Hello,

I am a newbie in ODE and C++. First I developed a simulator in Java3d with threads and now I am porting it in ODE/Drawstuff to
have physics.
My project is to simulate a mobile robot named an atom who can be composed with identical robot to become a molecul. An atom is
mainly a body (a square box) with 6 legs (left, right, top,bottom, front and rear).A leg can rotate with 2 axis. A leg can be
attached with the leg of an other atom. A molecul is one atom or more than one atom.
In ODE, an atom is a box with 6 legs. A leg is 2 boxes (or cylinders ..) with a slider.
I think, a BallAndSocket joint with angular motor joint can attach the body with a leg.
But I afraid, I don't understand the angular motor in user mode.
First the stop limit seems not to be effective.
And the axis seems to be relative to the gobal frame not to the body. When the body rotate, the legs seems to rotate with a
strange maner. I think i have the same problem than Tim Schmidt in july. The rotations behave as if the axes are anchored to
the global frame, whatever the orientation of the first body looks like.

May be someone have a solution to my problems ?

Michel DUBOIS