[ODE] Community page

Nate W coding at natew.com
Thu Oct 10 14:07:02 2002

On Thu, 10 Oct 2002, Ian Munro wrote:

> My interests actually lie in making physical robots rather than simulations,
> but they're a great "what if?" tool.

Be careful...  That's exactly how I felt when I started planning the
software that became Juice.  Now I've lost all interest in making
something I can touch. :-)

I'm really enjoying the discussion of evolved behaviors.  In Juice, a
creature's movements are basically just sine waves of different phases and
amplitudes applied to joints, and feedback loops from a body's orientation
to one or more joints.  I've been pondering a training feature to try
using a GA to adjust the phases, amplitudes, and gains, but haven't
actually implemented anything yet.  I'm hoping it will smooth out gaits
that have been designed by hand.

I've come to the conclusion that this method of programming behavior
creates creatures that tip over too easily though, so most of my time
lately has gone into designing a new behavior programming language.

--

Nate Waddoups
Redmond WA USA