[ODE] Vortex vs. ODE

Russ Smith russ at q12.org
Fri Nov 22 15:39:02 2002

> Accuracy is more important to me than speed, as it eases the
> migration of controllers from simulation to the physical robot.

vortex and ODE both use 1st-order accurate implicit integrators. vortex
may have a more accurate model of single-rigid-body tumbling, but this is
probably not too relevant for robotics work. in my own experience,
robot simulator accuracy is rather difficult to achieve because every
piece must be accurate before the whole thing is ... not only the
integrator but the friction models, the actuator models (hydraulics
anyone? pneumatics?), the sensor models, etc. even getting accurate
inertia tensors is tricky for lab robots that sometimes are sticky-taped
together instead of being bolted. personally, i wouldn't worry about the
numerical accuracy of my simulator unless i had all these other things
sorted out.

russ.

--
Russ Smith