[ODE] Debug vs Release floating point (MSVC)

Chris Campbell chris.campbell at l8tech.com
Fri Nov 22 03:57:41 2002

Hi Norman,

> This is somewhat unsettling for me. I am reasonably certain that is is
> ODE itself which is behaving differently in debug and release modes,

Nah... I'm pretty sure it is to do with the optimizations (for speed) that
occur when building for release. In release build floating point exceptions
are not checked for, internal representation of the number is different
etc - I don't really know the details. If you are using doubles, this might
be relevant too:
http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=KB;en-us;q217033

> convention, or other subtle compiler flag issue.

Apparently the /Op switch is supposed to stop optimizations in the
release build as well, but whether you want to do that is the
question isn't it...

ChrisC