Fwd: [ODE] Car handling - Overturning too easily

Henry Maddocks maddocks at metservice.com
Mon Nov 11 12:50:02 2002

On Tuesday, November 12, 2002, at 03:31  AM, Dominic Morris wrote:

> I've got my car driving over my terrain mesh using the
> contrib tri-collider, and the one remaining problem I
> have is that when I steer the car when it's travelling
> quickly, it overturns much too easily.

I had this problem too.

> I've based my code on the buggy example, so the geoms
> are four spheres and a box.

I didn't base my code on the buggy but I've got a box and four spheres.

> I've played about with masses, and friction models
> etc, and I can tune down the overturning tendancy, at
> the expense of the car's grip by using the Slip1 and
> Slip2 parameters (not that I fully understand these
> either!)

That's how I fixed it. It took a while to get a good balance between
too much grip (overturning) and not enough (skidding). My car still
over turns sometimes which I think is because my centre of gravity is
too high. And anyway, cars do turn over in real life, I know:)

henry