[ODE] rotation

Nate W coding at natew.com
Thu Nov 7 10:27:01 2002

On Thu, 7 Nov 2002, pia dalusong wrote:

> is there any way to get the euler angles from the
> matrix?

I'm not sure, but a google search on "euler angle matrix conversion" does
turn up a bunch of pages that I think show how to extract euler angles
from a quaternion.  I only skimmed the results, but it looks promising.

> if i'm using it on a car just on the chassis body
> after i attach everything else is that ok?
> is there any reason for this not to work?

If "it" refers to dBodySetRotation, then I think you're going to get some
weird behavior if you're rotating the body more than a tiny amount.  ODE
will try to bring the wheels back into alignment during the next timestep,
and that could take huge forces, and that could lead to explosive
behavior.  At the very least I would expect the car to wiggle a lot during
the first few timesteps.

--

Nate Waddoups
Redmond WA USA