[ODE] Building ODE as DLL on Win32

Nate W coding at natew.com
Thu May 9 15:01:02 2002

I have until now been using ODE as a static library, from source that I
downloaded way back when, but I just got the latest source from CVS and
I'm trying to build it as a DLL.

1) Can't get configure.exe to do its thing.  If I cut and paste the
command lines that it generates, they work - but when configure.exe tries
to build something, it fails because it can't find cl.exe.  Anyone know
why?  This is all within the same console window, so I don't *think* the
PATH is changing, but I dunno.  (I am using the Windows gmake from
q12.org.)

Meantime, I grabbed config.h from my 'other' ODE tree.  That's cheating,
though. :-)

2) msvcdefs.def was missing a few items:

dBodyGetData
dJointSetData
dJointGetHingeAnchor
dJointGetHingeAxis
dJointGetSliderAxis
dJointGetBody
dJointGetBallAnchor
dRFrom2Axes

3) msvcdefs.def refers to "dInfinityValue" but I don't see it in the
source.  Am I overlooking something, or is it obsolete?

4) I don't see the "dCloseODE" function in the new code.  I thought that
had been rolled in.  Am I wrong?  I don't mind adding it myself, I mention
it just in case it fell out by mistake.

If anyone else is interested in building under MSVC7, I've put a zip file
with the .sln and .vcproj files at http://www.natew.com/tmp/msvc7.zip put
it in your ode/contrib directory and unzip with with -dir -ext, it will
create a directory next to the tri-collider directory.  Currently there's
only one project ("default") in the solution, but I will be working on a
tri-collide-enabled build next.

Russ, you're invited to add this to the contrib directory on CVS at your
convenience.  Might want to wait a couple days first though, just to make
sure it actually works for people other than me. :-)

--

Nate Waddoups
Redmond WA USA