[ODE] Writing for both ODE and Vortex

Kenneth Holmlund holmlund at hpc2n.umu.se
Wed Mar 27 13:16:01 2002

Andy Hook wrote:

>ODE is not as feature rich, but it should be easy to go at least in one
>direction: to migrate an ODE based application to a commercial dynamics
>engine based application.  ODE could be used as a starting point and a
>commercial solution brought to bear for situations such as fine grained
>collision support or performance under the PS2 for example.

You probably want MathEngine Karma for PS2.

>Still there are likely some technical conflicts.  Perhaps what is needed is
>a standard dynamics definition like VRML or X3D that the whole industry
>could adopt.  Likely each of the vendors has their own solutions but it
>would be nice to see something that could be owned by say the w3c or one of
>the other standards bodies.  Any takers for that kind of project?

This is one of my favourite subjects - declarative formats for physics.
Another alternative could be to go for Modelica, which is an open and well
structured language for multi-physics, but it might be overkill for ODE.
MathEngine/Critical Mass Labs has defined a DTD for defining things in
XML, and
that works just fine with Vortex.
I strongly object against VRML/X3D (not the format really, but the
organisation!)
and I think this subject this is far off-topic for the W3C.
I'm not sure if Critical Mass Labs consider their XML format to be
proprietary
or open.

/Kenneth