[ODE] Writing for both ODE and Vortex

Andy Hook anselm at hook.org
Wed Mar 27 12:59:02 2002

Hey Martin Martin,

ODE and Vortex has primary contributions from Russell and are both based on
earlier work by Russell.  Also all of these dynamics engines have similar
problems to tackle and there is an informal body of knowledge about how
those problems are expressed (contacts, bodies etc) such as I am sure you
know from Baraff (you're probably sitting down the hall from him) and
Mirtich.  So one would imagine that mapping is at least theoretically
possible.

ODE is not as feature rich, but it should be easy to go at least in one
direction: to migrate an ODE based application to a commercial dynamics
engine based application.  ODE could be used as a starting point and a
commercial solution brought to bear for situations such as fine grained
collision support or performance under the PS2 for example.

Still there are likely some technical conflicts.  Perhaps what is needed is
a standard dynamics definition like VRML or X3D that the whole industry
could adopt.  Likely each of the vendors has their own solutions but it
would be nice to see something that could be owned by say the w3c or one of
the other standards bodies.  Any takers for that kind of project?

-a