[ODE] capabilities of new Havok engine

Darken, Chris cjdarken at nps.navy.mil
Fri Mar 22 13:36:02 2002

Yesterday I got a look at a demo of the new Havok engine code currently in
development (they claim it will be in the product in about 6 mos.).  The
demo consisted of 50 biped rag-dolls being dropped in a heap.  The
complexity of each was about the same as Gene's (www.realtyroad.com/gene/),
but the art was much better (sorry Gene ;^).  The animation was very smooth
and looked quite realistic---no obvious instabilities or interpenetrations.
Gravity looked about earth normal.  Very impressive!  I consider the
gauntlet thrown down.

Caveats: I just saw the demo only twice, and my eye isn't good enough to
pick up small glitches without more viewings.  Also, I wasn't able to
interact with the thing, so I can't verify that the physics was actually
calculated real time as claimed.  No idea what approach the engine is
taking, whether still Lagrange multiplier as listed on the ODE page, or
whether they might be trying something else.

Chris