[ODE] complete 3D Characters with physics?

Dennis Jan Franken Dennis Jan Franken" <djfranken at gmx.de
Fri Mar 22 12:57:01 2002

Hi Gene,

Thanks a lot, the video is very helpfull :)
I notice that the foot joints gets broken on
frame 6, 7 and 8.
Probably this wouldn't happen if the legs
wouldn't be totally straight in the beginning?
Then they could maybe react better to the
situation...

Isn't there an easy way to detect critical
situations during the simulations, and
simulate with smaller timesteps then?

>I am currently have stability problems,

I guess the stability problems get even
worse with more bones for spine, hand,
neck, toes, hmmm.
Did you get any feedback how to increase
the stability?

As soon as i have time to make some
experiments, i will mail.

On 17 Mar 2002 14:53:35 -0800, Gene Ruebsamen wrote:
>Hi Dennis,
>
>I've been working on simulating an articulated 3D Character in ODE as
>well.  You can take a look at some of my preliminary code at:
>
>www.realtyroad.com/gene/
>
>I haven't gone quite as far as you are suggesting with simulating the 22
>major bones.  Though one of my characters is composed of upper/lower
>arms & legs, a head, a torso, and two feet.  All of which are connected
>by the proper joints (hinge for the elbows, knees, and ankle.  Ball &
>socket for the arm & leg sockets).
>
>I suspect the most difficult part of the simulation will be to devise a
>control system to control the movement of the complex character.  That's
>no easy feat.  Russ came up with a system to control his biped robot
>(see the ODE website). I am trying to evolve a neural network using
>Genetic Algorithms to control my characters, with limited success thus
>far.

We want to use realistic motion capture animations, so
we will use simple motors for the movement and a
fakey balancing force.

greetings from Berlin,
Dennis