[ODE] buggy buggy

Ossi Antero Väänänen ossi at niksula.hut.fi
Wed Mar 20 10:50:02 2002

Hullo,

some of you replied me asking for the modified test_buggy code... You
can grab it here: http://www.niksula.cs.hut.fi/~ossi/ode-0.03.tgz
(it's the complete ODE source tree plus my modifications)

Some notes on the code:

- first of all, please don't comment too much on the code... I only
made it for myself for testing ODE. The code contains all kinds of
evilness.

- The buggy or 'car' can only be steered with a joystick, which is
accessed thru SDL. The joystick is polled in simloop(). It's easy to
hack in whichever other method of getting input.

- ODE itself is not modified except that I defined the SDL joystick
somewhere in the sources (don't remember where)... again, this is a
quick hack and shouldn't be talked of

- There are a lot of #defined constants in the beginning of the code.
Some have obvious names and some Finnish... mainly ETUVETO means front
wheel drive and TAKAVETO rear wheel drive. Keep both uncommented and
you have a four-wheel-driven car

- the steering works properly, ie., if the car is taking a curve and
not skidding, the front wheels are turned according to their real
curve radius

Yeah, and the code compiles fine on my Debian-woody. If some of you
succesfully compile the code on Windows, please let me know (so that I
know that SDL, Joystick, Ode and stuff run on it).

(For an odd reason I have the feeling that I am not the only one who
is fancying of creating a fun car game with ODE. I'm still in the
stage of still planning my own... I expect to start mine with
implementing the graphics engine on Easter holiday...)

best regards,

Ossi Antero Väänänen

--
Ossi Väänänen                                    To iterate is human,
email:   ossi@niksula.hut.fi                     to recurse,