[ODE] complete 3D Characters with physics?

Gene Ruebsamen gene at erachampion.com
Sun Mar 17 15:53:01 2002

Hi Dennis,

I've been working on simulating an articulated 3D Character in ODE as
well.  You can take a look at some of my preliminary code at:

www.realtyroad.com/gene/

I haven't gone quite as far as you are suggesting with simulating the 22
major bones.  Though one of my characters is composed of upper/lower
arms & legs, a head, a torso, and two feet.  All of which are connected
by the proper joints (hinge for the elbows, knees, and ankle.  Ball &
socket for the arm & leg sockets).

I suspect the most difficult part of the simulation will be to devise a
control system to control the movement of the complex character.  That's
no easy feat.  Russ came up with a system to control his biped robot
(see the ODE website). I am trying to evolve a neural network using
Genetic Algorithms to control my characters, with limited success thus
far.

Good Luck!  Let the list know how your simulation turns out.

Gene Ruebsamen