[ODE] Lots of stacked boxes/breaking constraints (was Re: Inside ODE)

Phil Teschner philt at microsoft.com
Tue Mar 12 12:00:03 2002

The problem with the boxes in ODE is that the collision routine only
returns a single contact point between boxes.  This means that face-face
or edge-face contacts aren't treated nicely.

I found that you can stack quite a few boxes without the wobbling if you
interleave boxes with spheres:

-----
o   o
-----
o   o
-----
o   o

This is because the box-sphere intersection works quite well (as you
pointed out the spheres only have one contact).  It also shows that the
constraint formulation works nicely for the boxes even with multiple
contacts (8 per box in my example).  I think it also shows that if ODE
had a better box-box contact/collision function you could stack boxes
without getting the wobbling.

Phil