[ODE] Simulation without drawing

Ken M wgold at flyingplastic.com
Mon Mar 11 08:24:02 2002

Aurelien -
It is certainly possible to use ODE in a non-visual simulation.  Just
comment out any "draw" routines, or don't use the drawstuff code at all.

ODE is a completely mathematical physics simulation, making it use 3D is
just taking ODE's internal post-physics computations of rotation and
positional matrices and fitting them to your 3D application.  The basic
"drawstuff" implementation is more of a framework for testing and showcasing
the features than a necessity in an app.  I'm using ODE in a visual
environment, linking it into The Nebula Device, but the basics of the
operation of the library doesn't care a whit about what we do with the
information once we take it out of the equation.

Ken