[ODE] Problem with hinge and hinge2 joints

ron taņeza ron.13 at lycos.com
Sat Mar 2 13:26:02 2002

On Sat, 2 Mar 2002, Nate W wrote:

> I'm glad to see that Ron's problem is solved, but now I'm left
> wondering... why did a high CFM cause the car to tilt?
>
> Thanks.

The CFM here is actually the hinge2 joint parameter dParamSuspensionCFM. When I was just starting using ODE, I set the gravity for testbuggy to -9.8 and the car chassis seemed to sink to the ground.. it's like the joints can't handle the weight. Russ explained that I need to adjust the suspension CFM -- lower values makes the joint stiffer. I set it to 0.1.. it worked and I somehow forgot about it.. the tilt appeared some time later when I changed the rear wheels' joints to hinges. I forgot all about the suspension CFM.. luckily Adam pointed it out to me.

2,000,000,000 Web Pages--you only need 1. Save time with My Lycos.
http://my.lycos.com