[ODE] Collision detection for arbitrary polytopes ?

Pierre Terdiman p.terdiman at wanadoo.fr
Thu Jun 13 07:23:01 2002

And I'll take this opportunity to say that Opcode 1.2 has faster sphere-mesh
tests (but still unreleased, no time - old song, I know).

Two things provided huge speedups (in case someone can't wait and want to
implement them) :

- sphere-mesh queries can early exit as soon as the sphere totally contains
a box of a node (hence we know it also contains all boxes of all children
and we can directly dump the list of related triangles)

-  temporal coherence can help by using a slightly larger sphere for the
query, and keeping track of touched triangles. Next frame, if the previously
used larger sphere still contains current sphere, no need to do the query,
we can reuse the list of triangles from the previous frame to compute the
collision response. We'll get more triangles than strictly necessary, but
overall it runs faster.

It also works for other volumes of course, not only spheres.

Pierre