[ODE] Wheels bending ;-)

Daniel.Groll@t-online.de Daniel.Groll at t-online.de
Sun Jun 2 08:30:02 2002

Hi!

I have posted a similar question a few days ago. I can't provide a
solution to the problem, but I discovered some tips:

1. For your steering axis use Hinge parameters "dParamLoStop",
"dParamHiStop" instead of "dParamVel2" (as mentioned in the source of
the buggy sample)
2. Take a hinge (not hinge2) joint for the non-steering axis.
3. Don't put additional velocity on the steering axis. Use the
non-steering for the impellent.
4. Check the speed of rotation frequently (I do this every time step)
with "dJointGetHingeAngleRate", and if the wheel rotates too fast,
break it down (e.g. dJointSetHingeParam(wheeljoint, dParamVel, 0)). The
reason is, if the car turns at higher speed, often a wheel gets off the
ground and begins to rotate very fast almost immediately (or is there a
parameter to limit the rotation in advance??).

Hope this helps,

Daniel