[ODE] hieghtfield -> Odeobjects collision detection

Andreas Pokorny diemumiee at gmx.de
Sun Jul 28 00:21:02 2002

> > This is my first post to the Ode mailing list. A few friends and myself
> > want
> > to write a small 3D fun racer. I wrote a heightfield based terrain
> > renderer.
> > We are currently thinking about how to make sufficent c.d. with the
> > heightfield. I haven't found any resources about this topic yet.
> > Do you have any ideas were to look, or where to find open source
> > implementations to learn from ?
> > Thanks in advance.
>
> Have a look at...
>
> http://www.q12.org/ode/community.html
>

> There are a couple of guys doing this.

Thank you, but I haven't found anything about hieghtfield and terrain
collision detection. Currently one of us is working at a simple cd
implementation. We will simplify the sphere and capped cylinder, and then we
will check the heights of all vertices in the reduced ODE objects against the
height field. I guess it will work, since the objects are small comparing to
the grid point distances.

But we also have to calculate things like normals and collision points ...

DieMumiee