[ODE] Rolling friction?

Chris Campbell chris.campbell at l8tech.com
Thu Jul 18 21:59:02 2002

> be no "rolling friction". But say your plane is carpet. Even
> with no air
> resistance, the ball should still come to a stop, which is

A ball sitting on carpet makes a dimple in the carpet, which requires some
energy. For the ball to roll to somewhere else, it needs to squash down all
the carpet along the way to some degree as well. Whether you want to call
this 'rolling friction' or not (I prefer the term 'energy lost to carpet
squashing') the end result is what you are getting by adding the damper
force and torque... um... isn't it? Or doesn't that work for the case of
back-spinning a ball on a pool table... does your 'hack' look ok?