[ODE] Making things slow down and stop

Phil Teschner philt at microsoft.com
Thu Jan 31 18:13:01 2002

The reason that spheres don't stop rolling is that the contact isn't
modeling rolling friction and there is no drag in the system.

The easiest thing for you to do would be to add both linear and angular
drag to the system.

Something simple like this will slow down your system (though it's not
physically correct):

force = - drag_coefficient * mass * velocity
torque = - angular_drag_coefficient * inertia_matrix * angular_velocity

Note that drag due to air resistance is based on the square of velocity
not just velocity (like I showed above).

Phil