[ODE] why setTransform() ?

Russ Smith russ at q12.org
Wed Jan 9 00:01:02 2002

> I *think* (but can't give any references) the doubles are as fast as
> floats, but it's been a while since I hand optimized anything, so I'm
> not sure now.

not quite - even if the floating point pipeline treats floats and
doubles the same, for doubles you have twice the memory bandwith
to deal with. this can be the big bottleneck in data-intensive
apps like graphics.

also, to answer this question:

> this is not just type conversion or the 3->4 rows issue. Why do you
> transpose?

"because that's the way it is (TM)". ODEs matrices convert body space
coords into world coords, perhaps openGL is different. i didn't study
this too hard, i just tried it both ways until it worked.

russ.

--
Russell Smith
http://www.q12.org