[ODE] How do you get apps to work with gravity=9.8?

Adam Rotaru adam_rotaru at yahoo.com
Tue Jan 8 09:56:02 2002

--- Fredrik_Sandström <dva96fsm@cs.umu.se> wrote:
> On Mon, 7 Jan 2002, Adam Rotaru wrote:
> > I would guess you could have achieved the same
> effect
> > by
> > reducing the masses proportionally.
> >
> Hmm, no that wouldn't give the same behaviour would
> it? The gravity is an
> accelleration so making it smaller makes things more
> "floaty".
> Changing the "world scale" appropriately (i.e.
> making everything approx.
> 18 times smaller) would do the trick I believe since
> that would affect
> perception of both object accelleration and density.
> Or am I still too sleepy to think straight?

It was me who must have been too sleepy!
Of course gravitational acceleration is independent of
mass (was that Gallilei?)
So let me try it again:
If you increase g from 0.5 to 9.8 (19.6-fold), you can
'restore'
the same behaviour by:
- making everything *larger* 19.6 times
or
- making everything *slower* 19.6 times (ie., reduce
the time step)
Does this make more sense?

--adam