[ODE] physical significance of high mu values?

Adam Rotaru adam_rotaru at yahoo.com
Thu Feb 28 22:23:01 2002

  Howdy,

  I created a simple human physical model. I try to
use
realistic numbers for units: size in meters, mass in
kg,
and -9.8 gravity.  After adjusting some parameters,
the
simulation behaves reasonably.
Here are some values I use: time step 0.025 s (1/40),
default global CFM&ERP, for joints: ERP=0.4, CFM=1e-4,
for contacts:
  contact[i].surface.mode = dContactSoftERP |
dContactSoftCFM;
  contact[i].surface.mu = 250.0;
  contact[i].surface.soft_erp = 0.5;
  contact[i].surface.soft_cfm = 1e-4;

Here's my question: the very high mu value of 250 does
not
seem physically plausible.  I always through friction
coefficients are supposed to be between 0 and 1.
Any explanations?
--adam